9.23.2011

//top 500 songs!

KEXP is currently taking votes for the top 500 songs of all time!

If you don't know what KEXP is, boy, are you missing out. I'm sure every major city has a radio station that is similar to KEXP. Los Angeles has KCRW, Chicago has WLUW, Portland has KBOO, etc. etc. But KEXP is definitely something special.

Anyway, as I was saying, KEXP will begin a countdown in October for the top 500 songs of all time, and we (the listeners) get to choose what we deem worthy of being on that list.

I've already voted for my top 20 songs, which included tunes from David Bowie ("Young Americans"), The Cure ("Just Like Heaven"), The Clash ("London Calling:"), Tears for Fears ("Mad World"), Marvin Gaye ("Let's Get It On"), etc.

There's one song that I would have voted for twice (or even three times) if I could: Pulp's "Common People." I don't know what it is about Jarvis Cocker's voice that has me weak in the knees; honestly, it almost sounds like a male version of a Jessica Rabbit rasp. But I CANNOT get enough of it.

So here's to you, Jarvis. May you end up on KEXP's countdown, thereby cementing your reputation as one of the best Britpop bands. Ever.


By the by, if you're planning on voting, go for it. I believe voting ends today, so you'd better make haste!

Oh, and of course, Happy Friday. May your weekend be one chock full of lovely surprises.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com